How to Check Car Oil
If you’re like other diligent car owners in Cary, you’ve probably wondered how to check car oil at some point. Knowing how to check the oil level in your car at home can save you the time and money involved with bringing your car to a service center, and you might be surprised by how easy a task it is to accomplish! Having the proper level of clean engine oil in your car at all times is essential to its performance and safety; learn how to check car oil at home with the service pros from Hendrick Cadillac Southpoint!
LEARN HOW TO CHECK THE OIL LEVEL IN YOUR CAR
Many modern vehicles are equipped with an electronic oil life monitoring system rather than the standard oil dipstick under the hood. If you’re unsure what your vehicle has, check the owner’s manual. If there is an oil dipstick to be checked manually, follow these simple steps to check the oil level right from your Raleigh garage:
- Park on level ground and allow the engine time to cool off completely.
- Pop the hood and locate the oil dipstick.
- Remove the oil dipstick from its tube and use a rag to wipe the oil off of it. After wiping it clean, re-insert it into the tube.
- Remove the dipstick once again, this time checking both sides of it to get the oil level reading.
The dipstick will indicate the oil level with either a crosshatched area or two small lines. If the top of the oil streak sits within the crosshatching or between the two marks, the oil level is fine. If it’s below the indicator, you’ll need to add a bit more to top-off:
- Check your owner’s manual to ensure you have the proper grade of oil.
- Remove the oil filler cap, then add a little bit of new oil at a time. Check the oil level in-between additions so you don’t overfill it.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CHECK THE OIL LEVEL?
Your vehicle likely requires a full oil change only twice per year, but you should check the oil level at least once per month. This way, you can catch any oil leaks, strange odors, or changes in color relatively early-on. All of these things may point to a larger issue that, if caught early, can be prevented from snowballing into a serious and costly repair.
SCHEDULE OIL SERVICE AT HENDRICK CADILLAC SOUTHPOINT
If you need an oil change or would prefer to let a technician check your car’s oil level and quality, you can schedule service at Hendrick Cadillac Southpoint! We’re just a short drive from Chapel Hill, and we always offer a rotating selection of service specials to help you save on oil service. With any lingering questions you may have about how to check the oil level in a car, we welcome you to contact us!